December Nutrition Challenge
Rather than a physical in-gym challenge for the month of December, we’ve decided to focus on nutrition. We often do this around the holidays because it’s a good time to be mindful of what we’re eating (and drinking) with all of the parties, travel, and hard-earned time off. The challenge is simple, but not necessarily easy: maintain your current weight or lose 1 lb by the end of December.
We’ve put together a list of tips to help you through the holidays (and beyond):
– Increase your water intake. A great way to do this is to have a water or club soda between each alcoholic beverage. A soda/lime/bitters “mocktail” also makes a tasty substitute between alcoholic drinks.
– Eat more slowly. Good conversation with family and friends makes this much easier around the holidays.
– Eat a high protein/veggie meal earlier in the day if you have a party to attend that evening. This will help keep cravings in check.
– Share that piece of cake or pie with a loved one rather than indulging in the entire piece.
– Keep your weekday nutrition and drink consumption extra tight if you know you’ll be attending plenty of week night or weekend parties.
– Be picky about your indulgences and survey the food options before making your plate. Decide what is really “worth it.”
– Watch your portion sizes. Use a smaller plate if possible and focus on protein and veggies and reserve less plate space for the casseroles and sweet treats.
– Keep moving! Continue to attend your Cypress classes and opt for walks or home workouts if you’re busy and/or traveling.
Have any tips of your own? We’d love for you to share them with us!